To construct the home of your dreams it is imperative to select a reputable and trustworthy builder who can help you realize your dream. However, with so many builders in the marketplace, it can be a challenging and overwhelming task to select the right construction company to build your home.
Your chosen custom home construction company should not only have the right skills and knowledge, it should also be accessible to answer queries and have requisite experience and resources to construct your home. Mentioned here are some tips to help you find right firm for the job.
Preparing a List
Prepare a list of all the professional construction companies in your area. You can get names of these companies by attending local home shows, asking friends and family members for references and checking online. You can also get names and contact details of construction companies from real estate agencies.
Checking Construction Company’s Skills
Building a home requires years of experience, skill and knowledge of the local environment. So, after making the list, study each company carefully for their experience, skills and customer service. Find out the projects the companies have completed and try to visit these homes to get an idea. If possible, get in touch with the current occupants and ask them about their experience working with the construction company. Find out whether they faced any problem and how effectively and efficiently the company handled the problem. This will allow you to further shortlist the construction companies and then you are ready to interview them to have peace of mind knowing that you have entrusted the job to the right professional.
Questions to Ask a Construction Company
It is imperative that you ask certain relevant questions before hiring the services of a custom home construction company. Some of the important questions that you should be looking to ask are as follows:
- Are you a licensed construction company? This question is extremely important as this will give you assurance that the company is qualified to construct the homes that they claim they can. Do not hesitate to ask the company to show you proof of their license.
- Is your company insured? A custom home construction company should be insured and so also the workers who work at the construction site. If a company is not insured and an accident occurs, you could end up paying more or even lose your home.
- May I speak to homeowners for whom you have already built custom homes? This meeting and conversation will give you a better feel of the construction company. All companies will always highlight their good points, but a meeting with a prior customer will help you gauge the company’s professionalism, skills and knowledge. If a company hesitates to give you reference, drop it and move on to the next one.
- What will the project cost? Cost is an important part of building a custom home, especially if you are on a budget. The construction company should be able to give you a realistic estimate based on your house plan and lifestyle needs.
- When will the project be completed? The custom home construction company should be able to give you a timeline for completing different stages of the project and this will give you a fair idea how long the project will take to finish.
- Will you handle permits and make sure that the house conforms to the codes in the area? This is another important question to ask, as not having the required permits or building a home that does not abide by the building codes could leave your home unfinished or cause problems after you move in.
- Do you use building materials that are suited to the climate in Florida? Make sure that the company you hire to build your custom home uses materials that are meant for the weather prevalent in Florida. This could make all the difference in having a home that lasts a lifetime and a home that needs frequent repairs and restorations.
When you select the custom home construction company to build your dream home, make sure you get a written contract drawn to cover all aspects of the project. This will give you assurance and you will not get a jolt with hidden costs and fees after the completion of the project. A reputable construction company will not only design and plan a home to suit your lifestyle needs, but also ensure that you get maximum value for your money.
Sparks Construction, a Custom Home Builder in Lake City, has been redefining home solutions in North Florida since 2004. We firmly believe in providing customized homes to our clients and have successfully constructed more than 200 homes in North Florida regions of Live Oak, Gainesville, Lake City, Baker and surrounding areas.